Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review: The Simply Bar Cinnamon Pecan

Due to my digestive problems one thing I have trouble getting enough of in my diet is protein. I have trouble digesting meat, dairy doesn't mesh well with me and eggs get boring after a while. There aren't many options for gluten free and dairy free protein bars since most companies tend to rely on whey and milk protein isolate. While searching for protein bars one night I came across The Simply Bar, as it states on their website Simply Bars are "gluten-free, all natural, vegan, kosher, low in fat and sugar, and under 12 ingredients (including non-GMO soy)." What really interested me the most was the story of how The Simply Bar company was created, Cathy Richards (Founder & CEO) has Crohn's disease and had trouble finding a snack that didn't upset her stomach so she decided to create her own and the rest is history! As great as it sounds I was hesitant in ordering since they're so expensive and aren't sold in many stores in the US so I couldn't just pick one up from my local grocery store to try. Eventually I gave in and ordered a box (contains 15 bars) from Amazon.com for $29.95.

When it was finally delivered I quickly opened the box to try it. When I first opened the wrapper the first thing that came to mind was that it looked really similar to a rice crispy treat. It has a slight smell of cinnamon but nothing overpowering. After taking a bite and chewing I noticed that the bar quickly dissolved and turned grainy, it turned me off at first but after a few more bites I barely noticed it. Overall the bar has a nice slightly sweet/cinnamon taste with a few pieces of pecans and satisfied my hunger. Each bar has 16 grams of protein and only 4 grams of sugar! The ingredients are also decent for a protein bar and I would definitely recommend trying this out. However if you're used to the sugary protein bars you will probably find this to have more of a bland taste. There are also other flavors of Simply Bars which include cocoa coffee, cocoa raspberry, caramel peanut, lemon coconut and peanut butter chocolate.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment