Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal

Breakfast. Either you eat it or you don't. I was never much of a breakfast person growing up, I would try to sleep in as much as I could before dragging myself out of bed for school. My parents would always nag at me to eat breakfast but I could never stomach eating food so early in the morning. Now that I've been dealing with chronic digestive problems I schedule small meals throughout the day to keep my stomach happy, it took time to get used to it but I love breakfast now! One of my favorites is a bowl of oatmeal, now that spring/summer is approaching I'll probably be moving onto overnight oats instead :) Typically I use Trader Joe's gluten free rolled oats, almond milk and whatever fruit I have on hand with cinnamon and honey. While looking through Vitacost.com I browsed through their gluten free foods and noticed that they have a really good selection of foods I've never seen in my local grocery stores and the prices are a lot cheaper too. One of the foods I ordered was Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal Variety Pack, for $4.39 it has 6 packs (2 of each) of apple cinnamon w/flax, maple raisin w/flax and banana maple w/flax.

Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal is wheat/gluten free, contains no GMO's, free of hydrogenated oils, high in fiber and is all natural. According to their website all of their products are produced in a 100% dedicated gluten free facility to prevent any cross contamination.

The nutritional facts and ingredients are great and I wouldn't feel guilty eating this whenever I felt like making a super quick breakfast. I love that they don't add any unnecessary or disguised ingredients, have you ever looked at the ingredients from Quaker Instant Oatmeal Fruit Variety Pack (not gluten free, I know)? Hydrogenated oils, food dyes, artificial flavors and there really aren't any peaches, strawberries and blueberries in their oatmeal! The peaches and strawberries are really dehydrated apples with artificial flavorings/colors and the blueberries are dried digs with sugar and juice. Why would anyone need all of that in their bowl of oatmeal?
Anyways moving onto the review, Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal is great! I used water as suggested by the directions but if you wanted to have a more creamy texture I would suggest using milk or any milk substitute. Unlike most instant oatmeal the texture was not pasty, instead it had more of a hearty texture to it. The apple cinnamon flavor tasted the most bland out of the three but I didn't mind since I don't like my oatmeal sugary and I love that it has a lot of dried apple pieces in it. The maple raisin was my second favorite, it had the perfect amount of sweetness to it. Lastly the banana maple ended up being my favorite, I didn't notice in the ingredients that it listed freeze dried banana so I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the banana pieces when I emptied out the package into my bowl.

The amount of sweetness is similar to the maple raisin and I love that it didn't have a sickeningly sweet artificial banana taste to it like many banana flavored foods do. Overall I would highly recommend buying Glutenfreeda Instant Oatmeal to have on hand for those busy mornings or for whenever you feel like eating a bowl of oatmeal :) Besides the variety pack, Glutenfreeda also sells each of the flavors separately and other flavors which include natural flavored, strawberries and brown sugar w/flax and cranberry cinnamon w/flax.



No comments:

Post a Comment