Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Review: Glutino Strawberry Toaster Pastry

Growing up one of my favorite treats to eat for breakfast were toasted strawberry pop tarts. The sweet strawberry filling and icing was the perfect combination. I was never a fan of the other flavors and looking back it wasn't the healthiest of breakfasts but it was definitely one of my favorites. Now that I'm eating healthier I haven't had a pop tart in a while and especially now that I have gone gluten free. I heard about Glutino's toaster pastries through other blogs and have been wanting to try them and finally got to pick them up at Whole Foods Market on sale for $3.99. Glutino has two flavors available, apple cinnamon and strawberry. If you haven't heard of Glutino it is well known gluten free brand in the gluten free world. They have a variety of gluten free products such as pretzels, crackers, breads, breakfast bars, cookies, cereals and so on!






Each box contains five toaster pastries. Unlike pop tarts they do not have icing on top which makes it easy to convince myself that they're a tiny bit healthier ;) They also contain four grams of fiber and 12 grams of sugar which isn't bad for a sweet treat. It has a long list of ingredients but to be honest unless you're eating these every single day which I wouldn't suggest I wouldn't worry about it as an occasional treat. 



I tried these toaster pasties toasted and right out of the package and would recommend toasting them for best quality. I was expecting it to have a harder crust like a pop tart and was surprised for it to have a buttery flaky crust instead. The buttery flavor was so pronounced I actually had to recheck the box to see if it had dairy which it doesn't since I have also taken dairy out of my diet. The filling was my favorite part of the toaster pastry because it had a naturally sweet fruit flavor unlike the sickeningly sweet high fructose corn syrup filling of my childhood. Eating it right out of the toaster oven made me feel like I was eating a personal flat strawberry pie. Eating it right out of the package was okay but I wouldn't eat it like that again. The buttery flaky crust was also very pronounced cold. Overall I would recommend these toaster pastries as an occasional treat however if you're looking for an exact replica of a pop tart you will be disappointed but if you used to be a fan of toaster strudels this would be the perfect replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment